I know this sounds crazy, but I've been back in BG for an entire year! What?!
When I moved back last May, I had no idea how this past year would pan out. (Honestly, I expected a trainwreck.) In reality, it has been one of the most beautiful years of my life, full of love, laughter, and learning. Here are a few of the things I have accomplished in the past twelve months:
- Teaching at 3 different schools
- Performing in several cabaret style shows and giving my own hour-long recital
- Finishing my University Honors Project
- Taking leadership positions in multiple organizations
- Getting a new job
Okay, so I'm not traveling the world, staritng a business, or patenting a new product (have I mentioned that I know some incredible people?) but for a girl who 18 months ago couldn't step out the front door, I'm doing pretty alright.
But enough about me! The point of this post isn't to boast about my year, but rather to thank everyone who made it possible. I met some downright amazing people this year. I rejoined an organization called MuTS where, ironically, I was suddenly this really old person that no one knew. As terrified as I was of half of the people in the room, I kept going and fell in love with each and every soul I met.
To my MuTS family: Thank you for accepting me. Thank you for supporting me. Your joy, positivity, and radiant energy brings a glimmer of sunshine to even the darkest of weeks. Your warm hugs and even warmer smiles are what I look forward to on a weekly basis. Thank you for opening your doors (metaphorically and quite literally) and letting me in. You have truly become my family.
I also joined an organization that I've been longing to join since freshman year called Sigma Alpha Iota. When I pledged, I expected to find myself in a service based fraternity where I would have the chance to give back to the community that has given so much to me. What I didn't expect to find was a loving sisterhood full of the most beautiful women I've ever met, both inside and out.
To my SAI sisters: Thank you for taking me in as one of your own. Thank you for allowing me to weep during initiation when I realized I was part of something bigger than myself. Thank you for always being there, no matter what time of day or night, with uplifting messages, praises, and ice cream. Each of you holds a special place in my heart. There's no place I'd rather be on Thursday nights than with all of you.
Finally, I kept up with Plainsong, a music-community based Bible study group that stems from H2O Church. This year I did not have the opportunity to help lead as I have in the past, but I loved seeing God shine through new eyes and work through new hands.
To my Plainsong crew: Thank you for all of the prayers. Thank you for the soul-touching worship nights. Thank you for letting me share my life with you. Thank you for being weird with me. You are all so wonderful. God is working through every one of you in so many ways and I cannot wait to see where He takes you.
Of course I have to take the time to say some words about my family and friends who don't fit into these categories. You're all just as important!
To my other friends and family: Thank you for encouraging me to come back this year. Thank you for pushing me to be my best. Thank you for always being here, no matter how far away you may be. Thank you for surprise visits, sharing cups of coffee, euchre games, lunch dates, jazz nights, and words of wisdom. Thank you for propping me up when I couldn't do so myself. You keep me going.
Please enjoy this montage of photos (I narrowed it down to 8, you're welcome.)
(If you didn't make it into the montage, don't fret. I sitll love you.
Also, we should probably get more pictures together.)
Now then, although these groups take up a large part of my heart, there are hundreds of other people who have impacted my life this year. This is for all of you.
To literally everyone else on the planet: Thank you for supporting me from far away. Whether I've known you for years or days, your outpouring of love is what fuels me. Thank you for every Facebook message, text, Skype session, phone call, letter, package, and email. Thank you for keeping in touch and asking me how I'm doing. I cannot express how much you all mean to me, I really, really can't.
One of the verses I've clung to this year is John 13:7. It says, "Jesus replied, 'You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."' I never know where the day will lead me. I still don't know why God had me take a year off, but I'm convinced it was so that I can spend an extra year with all of you. I don't know where the next year will take me, but with His love in my heart and all of you by my side, I know I cannot fail.
If you're someone who is struggling with anything in this life, know you are not alone. Whether it be mental illness, a physical handicap, a learning disorder, or any of the other myriad of problems found here on Earth, remember that you have a loving Father in Heaven and a support group here on Earth. My ears, heart, and arms are always open.
Don't say you can't do it. I promise you, you can.
God bless,
Kelly



No comments:
Post a Comment